Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Perfect Pie Crust

I have had some requests for my pie crust recipe since posting some of my pie pictures.  For years, I struggled to make a good pie crust, when I ran across this simple technique.  You can use any pie crust recipe, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference in the way it turns out. 

This is a two-crust recipe from Betty Crocker’s cook book that I use.  It is for a 9” pie (or two crumb-topped pies).
2 c. sifted flour (ok- I never sift my flour!)
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening
4 Tbs. water – make sure the water is ice cold.  You can put it in the freezer or even throw a few ice cubes into your measuring cup.  I always have a little extra water in the measuring cup and pour it in as I need it.
Mix together the flour and salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut in half of the shortening until it resembles fine meal.
Sep 29 2011 016
When you have reached the right consistency, cut in the other half of the shortening until it is the size of small English peas.  Doing it this way ensures a tender, flaky crust.
Sep 29 2011 017
Add the water 1 Tbs. at a time, mixing with a fork.  When the dough sticks together, gather it with your hands and form it into a ball.  Divide the dough into two equal lumps and roll out on a floured surface with a rolling pin.  It is important that you only roll it out once.  Re-rolling makes the crust dry and tough.  You can flour the rolling pin, too, and the dough will not stick to it.
It takes a little practice (the hardest part is keeping the pie crust round), but using the technique of cutting in the shortening this way, my pie crusts have always been successful – tender, flaky, and delicious! 
When you have rolled out the crust to the desired size, fold it in half and then in half again.  Pick up the quarter-circle shape and place it in your pie pan.  Unfold it gently and press it into the pan, trimming off the edges to 1 inch from the outside edge of the pan.  If you are making a one-crust pie, fold the excess crust under and pinch with your fingers to form the edge.  If you are making a two crust pie, don’t pinch it until you have the top crust in place. 
I hope to hear some good reports from all my pie-baking friends!  Later, I will post my Paper Bag Apple Pie recipe.  It is the best pie I have ever made (my husband considers it the best he’s ever eaten – he even refused ice cream with it the last time I made it – said it would interfere with the taste)!  I use this crust technique as my bottom crust, so get practicing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment