Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Chrysanthemum Cupcakes

I am making a last ditch effort to get rid of my junk and having my garage sale again.  I really want to get rid of all the stuff, but it seems people have a hard time finding my house (it’s a little off the beaten trail) while driving around town.  This time, I was able to get my ad in the local paper, so I am hoping for better results.  :)
Last time we had the sale, I made yummy cupcakes and they were more popular than the cheap junk!  How does that work?!  I told Paul the next time I have a sale, I will make it a bake sale.  I love the baking and decorating, even though I don’t do it very often. 
I saw this idea for cupcakes a few months ago and I have been dying to try it myself.  They look like chrysanthemums, but depending on the color of sugar you use, they could be any number of beautiful colors.  I did orange and turquoise sugars, and this is how they turned out.
IMG_3270
My kids helped with the decorating, so it didn’t take me twelve hours to do it all myself!
IMG_3269
Aren’t they gorgeous?  I just love these cupcakes!  They would be perfect for a ladies spring banquet, a shower, or even a tea party!  They are an eye-catching treat!
IMG_3267
It’s so easy, too!  Make your cupcakes and let them cool.  Put a thin layer of icing over each one (it works best if the icing is still sticky when you put on the petals). 
Cut miniature marshmallows (I used white, but they are also beautiful with the colored mini marshmallows) diagonally in half with a pair of scissors and toss in your choice of colored sugar (you can get precolored sugar, or make your own with a few drops of food coloring).  The cut side is sticky, so the sugar adheres to it, making a nice color contrast with the white. 
Starting at the outside edge, place the marshmallows, using the flat side of the cut marshmallow as the base, on the iced cupcake.  When you finish the outside row, start on the next, going around in circles until  you have reached the middle. 
My kids (5, 7, & 10) were quite capable of putting these on neatly, so with eight hands doing the work, it went quite smoothly.  They actually helped with the marshmallow snipping and sugar tossing as well.  My advice: delegate with caution! :)  We all had a wonderful and fun afternoon working together.  I sure hope someone buys those cupcakes so I don’t have to eat them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment