Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting Close

Potty training is such a big hurdle.  It is finding the time to dedicate to a child who likes life the way it is and the convenience of not having to stop playing every 20 minutes to go sit on the toilet.  You know, most kids don’t really care to have their playtime interrupted, and Daniel is no exception.  I started trying to train him earlier this year, and he was doing well.  He was at the point where he would tell me if he had to go.  I was having dreams and visions of all the wonderful things on which I could spend that $10 a week diaper& wipe money.  Alas, our travel interfered with his progress.  After several times of being stuck in construction or driving down the highway with no exit in sight, he stopped telling me he had to go.  :(
Later this summer, we were close again.  Then I had to leave for a week, and he again fell off the potty wagon while I was absent.  I kind of gave up on his being potty trained before the age of eight.  He stopped displaying interest of any kind, and cried whenever I tried to make him sit on the toilet. 
I have found the magic key, though.  Strawberry milkshake malted milkballs.  They have worked like a charm!  He is now staying dry for long periods of time, and yesterday morning he woke up dry! Woohoo!  I think I see light at the end of the tunnel! 
IMG_3259
I will be glad when we can say goodbye to the diaper bag at last!  For the last 10 years, we have been buying diapers for at least one member of our family.  I can’t imagine how many rainforests we are responsible for destroying, and how many landfills exist because of our soiled diapers, but you know, I really don’t care.  Some things in life just have to be done.  Disposable diapers are not an option to me.  I had my experiences with the cloth diapers, and believe me, you couldn’t pay me to deal with that every day!  So, for now, the party is being planned, and when we are finally diaper free, you may hear my shout of joy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you (and Daniel!) Levi is potty trained now and it is so wonderful...so happy that I won't have two in diapers like I did with Lydia and Caleb. Levi was pretty easy too, just took about 2 days and he was done. He did have a few days of accidents after that (when we went on vacation), but since has had a perfect record.

    And you crack me up about cloth diapers...I love cloth diapers! Not ALL cloth diapers, but the modern, nice kind. Definitely doing them again with this baby girl. Hey, and it certainly saves me that $10 a week which adds up, as you know!

    And very funny that he likes those whoppers, I like the regular ones but those are nasty!! =)

    ReplyDelete