Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Ticklin’ the Ivories

Music has been a part of my life ever since I can remember.  My parents sacrificed for my brothers and me to take piano lessons.  I began taking lessons in 1984, and continued all the way through my college years and beyond.  I suppose my last formal lessons were in 2001, but I have endeavored to continue learning and improving my playing, even though I no longer have a teacher or a regular lesson time.  Those of you who do the same know how difficult it is to challenge yourself!

I have begun teaching my oldest two children, and they are coming along rather well, in spite of the irregularity of their lessons ( we do not have a piano or keyboard in the trailer, so when we are on the road, the lessons are sporadic at best).  However, they all have developed a great love for singing, playing, and anything musical.  We have a lovely piano that the Lord allowed us to purchase, and although I want to keep it free from little fingerprints, I allow my children access to this instrument at all times.   Here is Daniel picking out a tune on the piano.  He “practiced” for about twenty minutes before I snapped this picture. :)

IMG_3420

The most important thing is that they learn to enjoy playing.  I do not believe there are ever any great musicians who do not love to play their instrument.  Dedication is good, and discipline is essential, but without the love of playing, you can never truly pass over the line to true musicianship.  I want to instill in my children a love for music that will drive them on to greater heights than I and my husband have achieved.  I do not want to pressure them to be a copy of my husband or myself, but I do want them to get the most out of our musical training.  One step at a time, I want to lead them to a love of music, and a lifetime of enjoyment serving the Lord with their talents.

Do you play an instrument?  Did you ever take lessons?  Who was the most influential teacher you ever had?

3 comments:

  1. Aww, he's so cute! =) Lydia finally began lessons in September and is doing so well. You are so right about a love for music, this truly does make the difference. She absolutely loves it and is making progress really fast.

    I only had few opportunities to take lessons, but my favorite teacher was probably Mrs. Mason at college, loved her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laine- Mrs. Mason was your favorite because you didn't have me for a piano teacher! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the philosophy. We all loved music and wanted to pass that on to you children. Music is alive and well and LOVED by all of you. Keep up the tradition!

    ReplyDelete