Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Heritage Handiwork

Many years ago (at least 25), my mother began working with my great-grandmother (Little Gramy) on a quilt for me.  They chose the pattern, a Sunbonnet Sue variety, and then began working.   Little Gramy made the blocks, since she was famous for her beautiful quilt tops.  The fabrics were also special.  Some of them were chosen from scraps of previous projects – my mom’s maternity dresses, mother-and-daughter outfits, or shirts that had been made for my dad when he was a child.

My mom did the embroidery on each bonnet, stitching flowers and French knots in lovely detail.  The quilt top was done, but for years it languished in a chest, unfinished.  Several years ago, my mom came across it again and passed it on to me.  I didn’t really know what to do with it, since I have never quilted anything.  I wanted to finish it, but really didn’t have the time or the equipment for a project that size. 

Enter my mother-in-law.  She has made dozens of lovely quilts over the years, and I approached her about helping me finish this special quilt.  She gladly took on the project, and when we moved into our new house, she sent the finished quilt to me as a house-warming gift!  What a lovely surprise!

591

Isn’t it beautiful?!  I am so thankful for this piece of my heritage, wrought with care and love, preserved over many years.  Each time I look at it, I am reminded of the women who gave of their time to make this special treasure for me.

Here are a few of the individual blocks, so you can see the detail a bit better.

593

595

594

596

599600

Now it graces my bedroom wall in a place of prominence, and every morning when I wake up, it is one of the first things I see.   One day, I hope to pass it on to my daughters and I hope that they get as much enjoyment out of it as I do!

quilt 2012

Do you have a special family possession?

No comments:

Post a Comment