Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Long and the Short of It

This is my hair right now - today, in fact.  For years, I had long hair past my waist, all one length.  Shortly before I was to be married, I took the plunge, and cut it to mid-back.  It was somewhat traumatic at first, but I loved it.  Then a few years later, when the children started to arrive, I constantly found my hair being spit up in, slobbered on, tangled in tiny fists, and dragged into baby food.  Gross.  It stayed mid back for a while, and then I wanted something new, different, and chic.  Eventually, with the assistance of my wonderful beautician, Aunt Nancy (she really is the greatest), I decided on layers.  This took my hair to a whole new level of maintenance, but I really liked it.  The problem is, I don't see her enough to maintain it in that really cute cut.  My last hair cut was in May(???) I think.  It has grown out to the mid back, long layers stage, and I am not sure what I want to do with it.  It is pretty healthy, so I am torn between letting it grow and donating it to Locks of Love (or something like that) and chopping it off in a few weeks when I get back home.  There are advantages to both, and ever the practical person, I will probably take a while to decide.  Ultimately, It will boil down to this: how long can I stand it before it HAS to be cut?  You know what I mean.  The day you wake up and say, "Okay, the hair must perform or else it will be chopped off!"  Have you ever donated your hair?  Do you like your current 'do, or are you looking for the new you?

5 comments:

  1. I go back and forth between long and short. Usually the deciding factor in how long it gets is the presence of headaches. Off it goes, and I feel much better. Then I repeat the cycle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got 10 inches cut off and sent to pantene pro-V. All of the hair donated to them goes to making wigs for cancer patients. I did lots of research before I donated. I like my hair longer but have always wanted to donate it. I do understand the point where you think if my hair doesn't do what I want today, it getting cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - thanks for the heads-up about Pantene. I didn't realize they had a wig program, too. I have been a dedicated fan of Pantene for umpteen years! I guess if anyone gets my hair it should be them. They won't be able to complain if it doesn't meet their standards! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uggh...I am so hating my hair right now. It's always thick, but I guess pregnancy hormones are making it even more so! It really needs cutting. I have really been debating as to whether to chop it off or not. Oy. Decisions...decisions... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours is pretty. I thought it was shorter, but it must have been a ponytail picture that made it look shorter. Mine is about your length right now, too. More and more often I wonder what mine would look like shoulder-length. But David likes it like it is, and Hope gets really excited sometimes when I'm on the floor and she can play with it "ha-ay" "ha-ay" over and over. And I like Pantene too! Whatever you do..... it will grow out again! : )

    ReplyDelete