Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Joys of Summer

I really enjoy summer time.  School is out, and the kids are busy with all of their outdoor activities, leaving me some time to regroup.  I think it takes about three months for me to recover from one school year and prepare for the next! :)

 

The weather here in Mississippi has been warm, mostly 70’s so far, but I know it will get hotter as the summer progresses.  I am thanking the Lord for air conditioning!  One of the things I do to keep temperatures down in the house is cooking meals on the grill.  I love grilled food!  It has a special flavor that you cannot get any other way.

 

One of my favorite things to make is grilled chicken breast.  Just sprinkle a little salt and fresh-ground pepper on them, and grill for 10-12 minutes on each side.  I have found that a common mistake in food preparation is overcooking.  Whether it is meat, vegetables, or even baked goods, you can easily make your meal dry and tough by cooking it too long.  Chicken should be tender and the juices should run clear. This is easier to see when you are grilling, because the juice rises to the top of the meat.  I grill my chicken on medium heat for more even cooking.

 

IMG_4234

 

So—what are you having for dinner?  Do you enjoy grilling, or is your husband the Grillmaster?  Do you have something unique that you enjoy making in the summertime?

1 comment:

  1. You are so right...whether it's chicken or pork I just cook it until it is w/o pink although pork can have just a tad bit of pinkish look as long as it is not raw pink!! Meats are so much better that way! You probably grill alot in the summer with your situation huh! Enjoy summer cooking! Our BBQ got crushed in the roof crash/snow accident we had here. So I hope we can get it replaced before the summer is over. I always look forward to grilling!

    ReplyDelete