Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Socially Secure?

Due to our recent move, I have to get a new driver’s license in Mississippi.  Paul got his almost immediately so that he could get a resident hunting license and finish out the deer hunting season.  “Oh, it’s really simple to get your license here,” he said.  “You don’t even have to take a test if you have a valid driver’s license from another state.  All you need is your old license, proof of residence, and your social security number.”

I was relieved.  I hate taking driving tests – even the written ones!  I gathered all my papers and headed down to the DMV one afternoon, prepared to get my new license.   I walked into the DMV and saw a large lady slouched in a chair, talking on the telephone.  I finally caught her attention, and she motioned me over and asked what I needed.  I explained, and she looked at my paperwork, and slouched back in her chair. “You don’t have the right papers,” she said.  I looked at her in astonishment.  “What do you mean?” I finally stammered.  She then grabbed my papers and showed me that my license, proof of residence, and Social Security card did not all have the same name on them.  My SS card still sported my maiden name!  “You’ll have to get a new SS card,” she stated, and without another glance at me, she slouched back in the chair again and continued her phone conversation.

I was somewhat disgusted with the whole situation.  Now it would be two weeks at least before I could get my license, and I had another bureaucratic hurdle to jump.  “Like I have time to go sit in the SSA office all day,” I muttered as I stomped out to the truck. “Guess it will just have to wait a few days.” 

I knew that I needed a Social security card with my married name on it (I don’t know what happened to the first one I got almost twelve years ago—I’ve been using the one with my maiden name on it all this time!), so the trip to the SSA was a necessary evil.

A few days later, I went into the local SSA office, documents in hand.  I took a number generated by a kiosk in the lobby, and sat in a chair to wait.  I was reading my Kindle(that is so nice to have during long periods of forced waiting) and as I sat there, I began to pick up bits and pieces of conversation around me.  Most notably, my attention was caught by a man sitting at the window with his elderly parents, who seemed to be in terrible health.  He was attempting to get legal custody of them, but was having complications.  The attendant at the computer told him that he would not be able to obtain the custody because of his prior murder conviction!  By this time, I had forgotten my book and was all ears.  I was feeling somewhat less than socially secure at the moment. :)

The man began ranting and raving about lawyers, records being expunged, the time he served,etc., while the attendant kept trying to interrupt him.  “Lady,” I thought, “don’t get him riled!  You might be next!  For that matter, I might be next!” 

I was quite relieved when my number was called shortly thereafter, and I departed to another room. Within minutes, I was finished and my request for a new SS card was processed.  As I hastily exited the building, he was still there, wrangling with the attendant.  I had to laugh as I drove home…  Social security?  I think it is an oxymoron! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment