Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Leftovers

Last week, I cleaned out my refrigerator.  It was a chore that badly needed to be done.  Yuck!  I don’t like doing it, but every so often, it slaps me in the face when I open the door, and says, “Yoo hoo!  We’re still here!  When are you going to clean out this mess?”  I sigh in resignation and begin peeking and peering into sealed containers that lurk in the dark corners of my refrigerator.  It is a dangerous job, but someone has to do it!

I will say that we usually do not have leftovers very long, due to the fact that Josiah is like a human food disposal.  Occasionally, however, something will slip through the cracks, or is shoved to the back of the fridge where it sits in silence until the day of reckoning. 

I do not mind eating leftovers – it keeps me from having to make an entire meal at lunch time the next day.  Some days, it is a regular smorgasboard around our house – venison, spaghetti, soup, little bits of this and that.  Everyone gets their favorite meal at one time! Yay!  However, I know people who would dive in front of a speeding subway train before putting food on the table for a second time!  Well, it takes all kinds, you know!  :) 

I was thinking as I cleaned out my fridge about leftovers and how they relate to life.  We are encouraged from a young age to give our very best to God – our whole life.  Sometimes, people do that by dedicating their life to God and His service.  Others are sometimes not so fortunate as to have older family and friends teaching them to give themselves totally to God, and a great part of their life is spent in the world before, or sometimes even after, salvation.  The good news is, God still loves leftovers.  I do not mean to be sacriligious when I say this.  God will take those leftovers and He can still transform them into something wonderful!  Don’t lurk in the background – come out into the light of His mercy and grace and allow yourself to be used! 

No comments:

Post a Comment