Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Getting Back on Track

The past six weeks or so have been non-stop crazy for me, and as I look ahead, it doesn’t seem to get any better.  Sometimes I sit in my messy trailer (see last week’s post) and sigh for the times when my house was clean, my kids were happy, and I was much skinnier.  Those days are gone forever – well, hopefully not the happy children part (although some days I wonder how they all got up on the wrong side of the bed)!  At one point, I was sooooooo organized I make myself sick just thinking about it.  What happened?!?  That was in the days before I started home schooling.  Now life is a free-for-all of events, last-minute trips, unplanned visits, and the usual mayhem (that would be school, meals, housework, grocery shopping, and church services).

Two different times last week, I went into my local Kroger, and stumbled upon some awesome deals.  I was lugging my coupon binder, so of course, I knew I had whatever coupons I needed to snag these tremendous deals for next to nothing.  The problem was, I had not cut out any coupons for (dare I say it?) months.   I muttered to myself as I shuffled and pawed through the inserts, knowing that the coupons were there, but finally gave up in disgust.  I knew I had to get organized again – at least in that part of my life.  After the kids went to bed, I began cutting out the coupons.  It took me three successive nights to wade through the twenty-three (yes, I said twenty-three) inserts.  My binder is no longer bulging, and the zipper will now close easily, but the work is not yet done!  I now have to sort all of those little papers into “findable” categories.  Hopefully, It will not take me three more nights!

In spite of my lack of coupon organization, I was able to get a few great deals at Kroger.  Of course, when I was sorting the coupons, I found some that would have made an even better deal, but I am trying not to kick myself over that any more.  I did get several items for just pennies.  I needed conditioner (I only use Pantene) for the girls and myself, but was trying to hold out for a sale at CVS or Kroger.  The bottles of Pantene conditioner that I found in the Manager’s special cart were marked $1.69 – great price!  Add to that the $3/2 Pantene coupon, I got those babies for only $.19 each!  Happy dance!  I also got two Aveeno hair care products for $.09 each!  I was totally inspired to get back on track with my coupons for this year.  There is so much money to save!

Last week, I also had a great trip to CVS.  Josiah has to take Zyrtec every day, and that stuff isn’t cheap.  I registered at www.zyrtec.com for their Zyrtec Rewards program.  Once every month I can print out two high-dollar coupons for Zyrtec (up to seven dollars off of one bottle) using the code off of the previous bottle.  I had a $4 off of any $20 allergy relief purchase from CVS, and, paired with the two $4 coupons(off of a 40ct bottle), I was prepared to make a great deal.  The problem was that the 30 ct. bottles were the ones on sale at CVS for $18.99.  They also qualified for the $10 CVS Cash Card (buy $30, get $10).  I searched through the bottles, and found two 30 ct. bottles with 10 extra pills, making them not only valid for the sale, but for the coupon as well!  I was thanking the Lord for that deal!  So here is what I paid:

2 40 ct. Zyrtec – $37.98
2-$4 off coupons – $8
1- $4/20 CVS coupon – $4
OOP- $25.98
Received $10 CVS cash card
Total cost – $15.98 for 80 Zyrtec 

Woo hoo!  I had some other good deals there, but that one really turned my crank.  The Lord knew we needed the medication, and He worked it all out for me.  Next time, I plan to have the $7 coupons!  Look out, CVS – here I come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment