Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Growth Spurt

It would seem that all my kids are growing this summer.  Very quickly growing.  Every time I turn around, somebody’s skirt or pants are too short or too tight.  Shirts are getting snug, shoes are wearing out, and socks – well, let’s not even go there!  By my calculations, I have bought (since April, this does not count the ten pair they each received at Christmas) at least 24 pair of socks for the girls alone, and yet I hear on a weekly, if not daily basis, “I don’t have any socks that match!”  I won’t say what my response to this statement is, but it usually involves a lecture on responsibility, economics, and mathematical probability, along with a threat of reviving medieval torture.

I have spent a good deal of time sewing this year, mostly for my girls.  I did make several pair of easy-peasy pants for Daniel (we’re talking a one-piece pattern that takes about an hour tops to make) before we left MS.  I had fabric to make another pair, but left the pattern sitting on my sewing table.  Grrr!  I hate when I have a brain cramp like that!  I have found that the easiest thing in the world to make is a tiered skirt.  You don’t even need a pattern!  And they are so fun and cute – my girls love them!

Here are the directions:

Measure around the hips at the widest part.  Add six inches to this measurement.  (I usually just use the whole width of fabric (42-45”), even though it is more than the measurement requires for either of my girls.  It all depends on how full you want the skirt to be.

Each successive tier is longer than the last, so that it can be gathered.  For a moderately full skirt, each layer should be 1.5x the width of the previous layer.  For a very full skirt, each successive layer should be 2x as wide as the previous one.  Here’s what I mean.

Hip measurement: 30”

Top tier width: 36”

Second tier width: 54” for moderately full, 72” for very full

Third tier: 81” for moderately full, 108” for very full.

I usually simplify by just cutting one width across, then using two widths for the second layer, and four for the third.  That way I don’t have to do so much math.  :)

The length of each tier can be figured by determining the finished length of the skirt, adding a few inches for seam allowances, elastic pocket, and hem, and dividing the total by three. 

Gather, pin, and sew the tiers together.  Add elastic and turn under the hem, and Voila!  Ready to wear!

Okay – if you have any clue about sewing, you probably got all that.  If not, you may still have a few questions.  it really is so simple, and once you figure it out, you can whip out skirts like crazy!  Although I will say that if you are making the 2x gathered version, it is a long, long way around that hem!

IMG_8827

Here is my latest creation – a 2x skirt for Abigail.  I love the citrus print – so bright and summery!

I made this skirt in 9” tiers.  You can make all the tiers the same length, like this one, or you can make them graduated, like 8-9-10”.  I have even made some that are 8-12-4”.  These have just a small ruffle around the bottom.  You can use all the same fabric, or do each tier in a different coordinating fabric.  Lace, trim, and special stitches can fancy it up, or you can leave it plain.  The possibilities are endless!

Do you have an easy pattern for a favorite project?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm. . . I might be making one of those in the near future. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    I usually concoct simple "A-line"er's, but tend to make it a bit more complicated {and thus more time consuming} with a pocket on the right, button closure on the left, and waistband. Did I ever mention that I loathe buttonholes? :o)

    ReplyDelete