Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Shield

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth, and with my song will I praise him.  
 Several years ago, I claimed Psalm 28:7 for my "life's verse."  At the time, I chose this particular verse for its significance in my life.  I trusted Christ to save me not only from my sin, but from the difficulties that enter my life in the form of trials.  He truly has helped me through many dark waters, and my heart can rejoice in His goodness to me.  The reference to music at the end was a declaration of my intentions - all that I do with the talents God has given me is aimed at bringing glory to Him. 

Recently, my attention was drawn back to the phrase "my shield."  I have readily admitted that God is my strength, but I was always a bit dismissive of the term "my shield," not because I doubted that it was true, but because I had never really had much use for it personally.  Before you think me heretical, let me explain.  The shield is primarily a defensive weapon, used for protection from things hurled, slung, or thrown.  The shield can vary in size and construction, but always it was oriented for the protection of the bearer.  In my life, I have had very few encounters with people that have been all-out hostile.  Of course, there is always the disgruntled cashier, or angry motorist that I occasionally encounter, but very rarely have I ever felt threatened by any of my acquaintances.  I have had very few personal attacks directed at me, hence my perceived lack of need for a shield of any kind.

It has come to my attention lately that not all people are willing to see the truth.  When I endeavor to stand for the truth of God's Word and pattern my behavior after His commands, there are some who disagree.  While I do not question their right to disagree, nor condemn their behavior, my very existence seems to be offensive, and as a result, they attack, not the Word of God on which I am standing, but me.  Regardless of who it is, these attacks hurt.  The fact that the attacker does not allow me to explain myself fully only increases the frustration.  Why won't they listen?  If they would just hear me out, I'm sure we could come to some kind of truce.  The thoughts that crowd my mind are myriad, some of hurt, some of revenge.  At that time, I need to claim God as my shield.  When I allow Him to protect me, several things happen. 
1.  I submit to His all-encompassing care.
2.  The attacks are deflected off of me personally.
3.  The attacks cannot destroy me.
4.  I relinquish the opportunity to fight back.
All of these things are difficult to do, because when I am attacked, I feel the need to justify myself and prove how wrong the attacker is with logic, scripture, or circumstantial evidence.  I have found that the vicious attacks of others lose their potency when I allow God to protect me.  If I dwell on the things said or done, I find myself getting angry, teary, vengeful, or discouraged.  When I allow hurtful things meant to destroy me to bounce off of my Shield, I find myself miraculously unscathed.  What a wonderful God I serve!  In allowing Him to take care of me, I find that I can live without the guilt of retribution hounding me.  The things that I would take into my own hands are given to Him, and I don't have to deal with overwhelming emotions of hurt, guilt, or bitterness. 

Without going into detail, I will say that I have come under attack recently.  I have taken refuge behind the shield of my God, and He is allowing me to rest in His promise of protection.  If God be for me, who can be against me?  His truth will conquer, and as long as I obey Him, I have nothing to fear from any man.

My challenge to you is this:  Allow God to be your shield.  Whatever comes your way, commit yourself to His protection and care.  Live with His promises, and you will have no regrets.


4 comments:

  1. This is so true, Sarah! We have personally experienced this in ministry even from professing believers at times. In the midst of a particularly heartbreaking attack, we decided we weren't going to try to defend ourselves, and prayed that God would. We have been amazed over and over at the ways God defended us!! What comfort to know that God is just and will fight for us! Thanks for the encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this...it's so true! God is a much better defender than we could ever be. Been thinking about you lately and hope we get to see you soon. =) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! We sure did need to hear your encouragement in our lives right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. never thought of it "the shield" that way before either. Great post, Sarah! it was an encouragement to me when I needed it and I shared it with someone else you needed encouragement too!

    ReplyDelete