Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Rainy Day Fun

The weather last week was up and down, and we didn’t know what would happen from one day to the next.  Some days were beautiful and sunny, and the kids ran a played outdoors all day until I made them come in to get ready for the evening services. Other days, though, the rain drummed continually on the roof, forcing us all to stay indoors (six people living in an RV can really get crowded quickly under those circumstances)! 

The kids decided to get out the play-dough but found that the vast majority of the dough was rock-hard.  Great.  That meant that the remaining container had the equivalent size and value of the Hope Diamond, and whoever possessed the dough was, in effect, the reigning monarch – more like the not-so-benevolent dictator.  After many distressed cries and much whining, I decided that one blob of play-dough was not enough for all of my munchkins.  In fact, it was going to be a serious detriment to their well-being if they continued to fight over it.

So, I did the great American mom thing, and began looking for play-dough recipes online.  I have made play-dough before, in a pot on the stove, and while the end result was great, the whole process was messy and not so fun.  I ran across this recipe for Fruity Play-dough by my good friend, Laine. You can find the whole process here.

Fruity Play Dough

1 cup plus 1 tbsp.  all-purpose flour
1 package Kool-Aid (any flavor)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup salt
2/3-3/4  cup boiling water
Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and add oil. Pour boiling water into flour mixture and mix thoroughly. (You may need to add a few more spoonfuls of flour to get it to the right consistency.) After it has cooled a little, knead it with your hands until smooth. Store in an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator. (The play dough should last a few months.)

Let me say here, that this is an awesome recipe!  It smells so yummy because of the secret ingredient (Kool-aid) which also colors the dough, eliminating the need for messy food coloring experiments.  It takes less than five minutes to whip up a batch ( I think I made eight batches in about thirty minutes).  I also like that it does not make a batch of dough the approximate size of an elephant.  It is much smaller, more manageable batches.  Love that!  I made the first batch, and realized that it was too large to fit in the play-dough containers that we already had.  So, I halved the next batch, all but the Kool-aid packet, and it was perfect.  It fit perfectly in the play-dough containers, and I was one happy mama!  This also made the colors more vibrant, since it was effectively twice the coloring.

IMG_7657

The kids were so excited – they kept sniffing the dough and laughing and exclaiming over the different scents.  And… I got the awesome mama award.  Hugs all around, and lots of smiles.  And a play-dough pizza.

IMG_7662

I think that may be anchovies, but I am not sure…

IMG_7652IMG_7654IMG_7659IMG_7660IMG_7661

What a great way to spend a rainy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment