Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

So Great Salvation

Last we was a frenzy of activity, since we were home for a few days.  I made a list and was checking it twice, trying to make sure that I completed all the necessary items before leaving town for a few months.

Winter clothes were removed from the trailer, summer clothes were dug out of storage bins in the house and placed in the trailer.  Junk was discarded, too-small items were given a new home, school books were switched out for the approaching school year (I really don’t even want to think about school starting yet), papers were graded, new clothes were sewn…  You get the picture.  The kids, reveling in their summer vacation, were everywhere at once, dragging out toys and games, and generally making a huge mess wherever they went.  It was absolute chaos!  Add to that, our church was hosting our annual missions conference that week, too. 

It was one crazy schedule.  There were times that I sighed within myself and wished for one whole uninterrupted day to get some things done.  Thursday was especially hectic, and my attitude was one of despair as we hustled out the door to go to church that evening.  I still had so much to accomplish, and I didn’t even seem close to getting it all done.  I am ashamed to say that I thought about staying home.  However, I went.  I decided that I would honor the Lord and just let the house be a disaster, if that’s how it ended.  I am so glad I did.

That night, in the invitation, Daniel, my youngest, asked me if he should go forward.  “Why?” I whispered.  His serious little face looked up at me and said, “I need to get saved!”  My heart leapt for joy, and I sat down and held a whispered conference with him, asking why he thought he needed to be saved, what is sin, and was he a sinner.  He answered each question with understanding, and I told him we would wait and talk with Daddy(who was playing the piano) after the service.  I knew Paul would want to be a part of this precious time. Accordingly, he talked to Paul, who quizzed him over the same things and was satisfied with his understanding and answers.  Then Daniel bowed his head and prayed the sweetest little prayer, asking Jesus to forgive his sin and come into his heart.  Tears of joy ran down my cheeks and I hugged him tightly, thanking God that salvation is so simple that even a little child can comprehend it. 

The next evening, since it was to be our last night at church for several months, Daniel was baptized.  It was hilarious!  The water was quite deep, so the pastor had placed a stool in the baptistery, but it floated away when he turned his back to reach for Daniel.  He picked up Daniel, who was quite excited until he saw how deep the water was, and the baptism proceeded.  Daniel had such a death grip on the pastor’s arm that he could hardly extricate himself.  In the end, Daniel was baptized, and we praise the Lord for this first step of obedience.

IMG_7643

Excitement and anticipation

IMG_7645

Explanation of what will happen in the baptistery

IMG_7646

Getting ready to go in the water

IMG_7647

Uh-oh!  This is pretty deep!

IMG_7648

There is no way I am letting go of Pastor’s arm!

IMG_7649

Down into the water!

IMG_7650

My sweet boy!  I am so proud of him!

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord! I really like the picture of Daniel with his feet and one hand on the side of the baptistry. Reminded me of a little frog! Precious!

    ReplyDelete