Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

We’ve Made Our Bed…

now we can lie in it.  Literally.  I already showed you the bench that we made.  It was a test run before we took on the project that inspired this whole woodworking craze that seems to have overcome the members of our household.  For years, I have wanted a bed – not just a mattress on a metal frame, but a beautiful headboard/footboard frame that would grace our room with elegance and charm.  I have looked at yard sales, Goodwills, thrift stores, Craigslist, and online sites, trying to find that perfect one.  I found it – several times, in fact.  However, it was never the perfect price.  So, I just laid on my metal frame and mattress and dreamed of that perfect bed.  It wasn’t a need.  It was a WANT!  I could do without it.

Then, I saw the bed.  Not just the bed, but the plans to make the bed yourself.  Same book in which I found the bench plans – and a myriad of other furniture plans.  We made it!  We love it!  I suppose you all want to see a picture of this masterpiece, so without further ado, here is our new bed! (Drum roll, please!)

IMG_6420

I could not be happier!  The neat thing is, my husband I and made this together!  Our time was full of fun and laughter, and we learned so many things while doing this project together.  It is solid and sturdy as a rock.  We will be handing this one down to our grandchildren for sure! :)  Now, I think I need to go lie down and daydream about my next project…

8 comments:

  1. Sarah, that is beautiful! Would have thought you bought it at a high-end furniture store. Not only do you have an awesome bed, but all the memories you and Paul made along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really beautiful! I really love the bench and the bed. They are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! What is the name of the book you found the pattern in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name of my wonderful book is "The Handbuilt Home" by Ana White. She also has a website with all kinds of plans and ideas. www.anawhite.com Go there to get inspired!

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    that is gorgeous!! I have been wanting to pick up Ana White's book - need to do it soon. She is actually going to be the keynote speaker at Haven (a DIY blogger's conference here in Atlanta) this summer that I am going to. I met her last year but can't wait to hear her speak :)

    LOVE, love your bed! I hope to DIY a headboard this year - too chicken to do a whole bed ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love the book - great plans and the layout of each project is planned out for you, as well as all the tools you need. It is a great beginner's book. I have about fifty new projects now! LOL I am sure you would enjoy hearing her speak. You are so crafty and creative!

      Delete
  5. Sarah, I finally have something from Ana White's plans--- a long 8ft gallery shelf! : ) It is so great-- no holes in the walls, and I can rearrange things whenever I want!

    ReplyDelete