Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Date Night

The other night, I went out with a young man.  No, not my husband.  Before the rumor mills begin churning out all kinds of supposed scandal, let me enlighten you.  This particular young man is my oldest son, Josiah.  He is eleven and one of the sweetest kids I know.  He has that pre-teen sense of humor that makes telling corny jokes a real pleasure, because he actually get them, and occasionally has a decent comeback!  :)

A long while ago, I took him out on a “date.”  He was instructed by his father to open my door and make sure he treated me like a lady.  He took his job very seriously, and did everything as he was told.  We had a nice time, but it bothered him that I paid for the outing.  He seemed to think that he had somehow shirked his gentlemanly responsibility by allowing me to pay.  (Never mind that he had no money and no job – I would never seriously consider a man like that, but since he is my son, it changes things a bit.) 

Apparently, this lack of responsibility has been chafing him all this time.  A few weeks ago, he began talking of taking me out again, with one difference – he  was going to pay for it all.  The problem was, I could never find a time that just the two of us could escape.  So, for at least three weeks, he mentioned it daily.  Never less than once a day, and usually three or four.  I began to feel a kinship with the unjust judge and the importunate widow.  I had to find a time for this date, just to maintain my own sanity.  Thankfully, an opportunity became available, and we hopped in the truck and headed to Wendy’s. 

I think it was the culmination of all his dreams – fries and a Frosty.  He ordered, and I found a table while he paid and waited for our food.  He carried it carefully to the table and thanked the Lord for the food.  I’ll give you three guesses as to who got the lion’s share of this meal… and the first two don’t count! LOL

IMAG0279

Of course, we had to take our picture – easier said than done.  Here’s my cute little man.

IMAG0281

He was all seriousness when we sat down, and began talking as we ate.  He said it was a much better date since he was able to pay this time.  I secretly agreed.  I thanked him for taking me out on a date, and his matter-of-fact response cracked me up.  “Thank you, Mama, for driving.  I might not have done so well.”  Might?  LOL!!!

I am very thankful for this little guy.  He is a blessing in so many ways.  I know the Lord has something special planned for his life, and I am so grateful that I get to be a part of that plan.  I love you, Josiah!

IMAG0284

No comments:

Post a Comment