Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Remembering Nathan

Today was the anniversary of our son Nathan's birth and death.  He would have been eight years old today.  It is always such a painful time for me, because the memories are so vivid - just as if it happened yesterday.  I know that Nathan is in Heaven, but I think a mother's heart will always grieve her child.  The pain becomes bearable after a while, and like anything else, you can learn to live with it.  The death of my son has made me a stronger and better person, all glory to God.  We took our children to the cemetery today and gave them each a balloon to release in celebration of Nathan's birthday.  They also sang "Happy Birthday" to him.  It was a wonderful way to remember his special touch upon our lives.

I was thrilled to see a sign for fresh-picked strawberries today as we were driving.  We pulled over, and the most beautiful baskets of berries sat on the roadside stand.  I caved in and bought a basket.  This is what they look like!  Strawberry shortcake is on the menu! YUM!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it has been that long- I still remember the chapel service where we were asked to pray for you in light of what had just happened. I'm so sorry. (((hug))) How sweet of the children to release a balloons for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing something so special and yet so painful with us. And thank you also for giving me the privilige of hearing Nathan's story that day we spent together.

    Prayed for you throughout Saturday and I'll continue too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete