Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Member

I want to be the first to introduce you to the newest member of the Left Front Tooth Club.  This exclusive club has been around for many years, having been started when I was a child.  I was one of the charter members, and for some time, the only member of which I was aware.  Eventually, I was joined by a friend, then my brother, then a few more friends during my teenage years.

 

Membership has been dormant for a while, but just this week – Tuesday, in fact, my daughter Abigail joined the club.  The mode of initiation into the club is actually up to the individual, and so varies from member to member.  Here are some of the inventive ways that people have wrangled a membership into the Left Front Tooth Club.  (*The names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

 

Sarah (me) – whacked in the mouth with a croquet mallet (my brother had a wicked backswing!)

Luke (my brother) – hit in the mouth by a stray “grounder” during a softball game (some called this poetic justice)

*John –  ground his tooth off on the pavement in a bike wreck

* Lily – fell off a milk crate, hitting her mouth on the basement floor (she also broke her wrist – bonus points for the initiation mode)

*James – forgot to make sure the pump on his BB gun was latched; it popped up while he was aiming and knocked his tooth out.  He excitedly called our house to say, “I joined the club!”

*Andrew – was experimenting with scientific properties; pushed a five gallon bucket down into the lake, with the intent of sitting on it (the air underneath keeping it buoyant) – the air pressure was greater than he expected, and the bucket flew up in his face, hitting his tooth and knocking it out.  He gets a 10 for creativity.

 

Add my sweet Abigail to this list – she used the tried and true method of the bike wreck (see *John) to great effect.

 

IMG_3804

 

In all seriousness, it could have been a very bad accident.  I am thankful that the Lord kept her safe, and that the damage was not more extensive.  There is still the possibility that the tooth could die, so pray that it stays healthy, and that there are no complications.  Also pray that we don’t have any more members of the LFTC in our family! :)

 

Congratulations, Abigail!

 

Are any of you card-carrying members of the Left Front Tooth Club, or do you have your own exclusive club?  :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! Miss you and hope you are doing well! I happen to be a member of the LFTC! When I was a little girl from southern Florida, we took a vacation to Kentucky to visit family, while on my Great Uncle's farm I was in our full-sized van getting out candy and a cow was right behind our van and I had left the door open and the cow moooed and when I heard it and looked it scared me and I fell right onto the place where you step up into the van and broke my left tooth! There was blood everywhere! City girls just don't know what to think when cows come a callin' LOL Well I am glad Abigail is ok! ttyl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I dare confess??? : ) I guess you can chalk it all up to adventure. One hot summer day (quite a while back ;)~ like as in 15 yrs.), we were playing on a humpy playground slide laid out on the hill beside our house with water running down it. Put a huge tube on it, situated myself, and had Sara push me off. Slow ride down, but fast enough to get to the end (which was like a ramp because of the angle). In other words....slow enough to be boring and fast enough to do damage. The tube dug into the ground and my mouth hit the tube, promptly knocking ALL my front teeth out. Well, of the top two, the left one was dangling by a thread and the right one was broken off into a point. All the bottom ones were pinning my tongue down. Emergency surgery that evening, and over a month with wires holding everything together. Dentists aren't very high on my "favorite peoples" list! Ha!

    Glad Abigail's incident wasn't any worse than it was! I just found your blog and have been "catching up". : )

    Miss you guys!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I laughed til I cried. I can still remember our reactions to the new members and our cringing as we hearding about the grinding off! It still gives me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sarah, did you forget (or know) that Paul was a member of the club? He was aggravating Johnnie, with his being in the back, and John in the front. John had a ball bat. Paul kept aggravating....John shoved the bat over the top of the seat, in an effort to stop the Big Brother from tormenting him... Bam!! Paul is holding his mouth. It broke the tooth off at an angle...yep, exposed the nerve-- and it is Saturday night!!! ARGGHHH!! Steve and I took Paul to the dentist the next morning, after an agonizing night for Paul... Nothing helped the pain-NOTHING. So it was a sleepless night. The dentist fixed the tooth, but it had to be canaled and crowned. Sheesh...what memories!!

    ReplyDelete