Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

For the Cure?

Last week, I had a rather rude awakening while reading the news.  Apparently, The Susan Komen foundation has been playing a double game.  They decided to withdraw their funding of Planned Parenthood.  Did anyone else know about this alliance?  For the record, their funding was strictly to help provide mammograms and breast screenings through the PP clinics. 

For whatever reason, the Komen Foundation announced their decision to withdraw this funding from PP.  Planned Parenthood turned around and raised a firestorm of political pressure, asking all their supporters to donate (their estimated donations were $400,000) to help them fight this terrible crime of leaving low-income and minority women without health care.  They had a form letter on their website that you could print, sign and send to Komen.  Apparently, the response was so overwhelming that Komen caved under the pressure and agreed to eave the funding in place. 

I have several issues with this whole situation.  First of all, Planned Parenthood is a for-profit business.  They receive millions of dollars of donations each year from Bill Gates alone.  They are funded by government grants.  They conduct business and charge for procedures done.  They do not need Komen’s money.  However, Komen is trapped into this alliance because they have been accused of not caring about the health of women.  It was a dirty tactic, but we have come to expect that from the Planned Parenthood crowd.  Numerous Komen top officials have resigned over the whole matter, from the reports I have read. 

I was very angry when I found out about this whole fiasco.  Especially that Komen does not have the option of spending their money where they please without being strong-armed by a huge political force such as Planned Parenthood.  It just isn’t right.

While I appreciate Komen’s work to help women, I really wish they had not partnered themselves with a business whose main occupation is destroying life in the guise of giving women a choice.  Their money would better have been spent in giving mammogram screenings to women through private clinics or crisis pregnancy clinics.  However, there is nothing to be done about that decision now. 

I have in the past tried to buy “pink” in order to help cancer research through Komen.  I have friends who have raced “for the cure,” I have survivor friends, I have friends who are undergoing treatment for cancer right now.  At the risk of sounding heartless, I will not be buying any more “pink” products as long as Komen is badgered into supporting an industry that takes the life of unborn children while pretending to care about women.  It is the ultimate hypocrisy.  I cannot support Komen while they are politically blackmailed into this alliance.  I sent an e-mail to the foundation expressing my disappointment in their decision, and telling them that they would no longer have my support as long as they partner with Planned Parenthood.  While this may not be your decision, I ask you to think about making a phone call, sending a letter or email regarding this situation.  If Komen gets enough response from people like us, they may just go ahead and take the plunge next time, no matter what threats Planned Parenthood makes. 

Fight back for the cure…

1 comment:

  1. Well said Sarah!! And I totally agree with you! After watching what they did for Amy Bixby and now this...wow...it's hard to take away the frustrations of what could have continued to be 'good'! So I, too, trust there are many that stand against them giving in! You know, as the Lord's return gets closer and closer, I think there may be a lot more giving in to those that are trying to control. May we all be strong and continue to witness and fight for good and right!

    ReplyDelete