Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

A Lovely Gift

Each year when my birthday rolls around, my husband is somewhat distraught about what to give me.  (Just for the record, he always manages to pull off something very nice.)  This year, he managed to really hit the brownie points lottery – he made me a console table for my living room.  This item has been on my “would like to have this one day when you have the time to make it” list that sits in a drawer in the kitchen.  I have an oddly shaped living room due to a stone corner area, and that side of the living room looks rather odd.  I wanted a table to fit in that small space under my gallery wall (which is still unfinished).  You know, the kind of table that I can decorate and store a few little odds and ends out of sight. 

Since he was going to be on the other side of the country during my birthday, he got to work early and finished it before he left!  I got to paint it and glaze it (my favorite part) after he put it all together.  Seriously – how awesome is that?  He gets the “Best Husband Award” again.  I guess that makes it thirteen years running now. :)

2013-11-06 16.08.42

Here he is priming the drawer fronts in the garage.

2013-11-06 16.21.39

The table is ready to paint… My favorite part.

2013-11-06 16.08.38

The table top is aspen coated with a golden oak stain.

2013-11-08 17.33.43

The table is painted in Valspar Nightfall green (Winter 2012 collection) and glazed in Martha Stewart Black Coffee.  I absolutely love this table!  I put the drawer pulls on myself – pretty scary to think of messing up my beautiful table while trying to drill a hole in the drawer front!  Eeeeep!  However, it turned out beautifully and fits perfectly in that space between the doorway and the hearth area. 

It was definitely a happy birthday to me moment!  Thank you, Paul, for such a wonderful gift!  I love you!

What is your favorite birthday gift?

3 comments:

  1. You guys are very good craftspeople! The table is absolutely perfect for the space and beautifully made. Maybe you should take up furniture making as a secondary line of work? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! After seeing the other things you have made together I am wondering what else you can do?!? It really is beautiful and love the colors!

    ReplyDelete