Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Remembering Nathan–Ten Years

I can hardly believe it has been ten years.  Some days  it seems an eternity ago, and others, it seems as if it was only yesterday.  It was ten years ago that a very difficult pregnancy ended several weeks early, and my second child came into the world.

Nathan

It was ten years ago, as I lay on the operating table after an emergency C-section, violently shaking with the aftereffects of the anesthesia, that I wondered where my baby was.  I groggily asked the anesthesiologist if it was a boy or a girl, but he wasn’t sure.  I thought that was odd, but in that post-op state of mind, I figured that maybe he just didn’t know.  After a few more minutes, I asked again.  This time, he answered slowly, reluctantly, “It’s a boy, but he is having a hard time breathing.”

It was ten years ago that I began praying for my son, begging God to help him breathe, pleading for the life of my son.

It was ten years ago that God answered my prayer, not with the answer I so desperately wanted to hear, but with a sorrowful, “No, Sarah.  My grace is sufficient for thee.”  As I lay on the table, I knew. My son was not going to live.

It was ten years ago that my husband and I heard the news from the doctor, “Your son has responded to the latest round of treatment, but I’m afraid it is too little, too late.  It will only give you enough time to say goodbye.”

It was ten years ago that I held my dying baby in my arms, touching his tiny face, watching him struggle, and still praying, hoping that God would do a miracle.

It was ten years ago that for the first time, I realized the magnitude of God’s love for me.  I would not have traded my son’s life for any price, if I had had the choice, but God sent His Son, His only beloved Son, to die for me, to taste death in my place, to pay the price for my sin, and not for mine only, but for the sins of the whole world.

It was ten years ago that my husband and I committed the tiny life that God had given us so briefly back to the Giver.  Nathan, our gift, a precious few moments of life committed to our care, left our earthly arms to rest in the eternal arms of Jesus.

It was ten years ago that I entered the valley of the shadow of death.  My world came to a total standstill.  It was the darkest, bleakest time of my life.  The sleepless nights and tearful days became the new “normal.”  The huge, painful lump in my throat became bigger, and finally settled in my chest, making conversation difficult, and laughter impossible.

It was ten years ago that I claimed by faith, God’s promise, “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.”  Faith was the only way I could claim that promise, because I could not envision or even imagine a morning of joy. 

It was ten years ago that I decided I would not give up on God because He had allowed this tragedy in my life.  I read my Bible, prayed, attended church, all the while secretly wanting to slap the next person that quoted Romans 8:28 to me.  Oh, I knew that God did work out all things for my good, but I really didn’t want a verse flippantly quoted to me by someone whose life had never been shattered into pieces.  It sounds scandalous for me to say such a thing, but it is the absolute and candid truth.

It was ten years ago that I began to know and experience, in a whole new way, God’s sustaining grace.  The strength that helped me to get out of bed each day, to care for my young son, Josiah.  The grace to endure thoughtless comments, when all I wanted to do was lash out in hurt.  The grace to see other mothers hold their babies when mine was gone.  The grace to reach out to others when my own grief was so great.

It was ten years ago that God began to give me a deeper compassion for people who are hurting.  Even now, when I hear of the death of a child, a miscarriage, or stillbirth, my heart breaks for those who have lost that precious child, because I know the terrible, overwhelming grief and loss.  I can truly sympathize because I have been there. 

Yes, it was ten years ago that Nathan came into my life.  My life is forever changed because of the hour that I had with him.  The sorrow is still there, but it no longer casts a shadow over everything.  I still cry when I think about my son.  I still miss him and mourn his loss.  I still feel guilty when I say I have four children, rather than five, simply because I cannot talk about it without crying.  However, I know I will see him again some day.  I will be able to share with him the love that I hold in my heart, and in that day, I will, for the first time, truly understand all that God was doing in my life. 

These are a few of the lessons I have learned in the last ten years:

1.  God’s grace is always sufficient.

2.  Romans 8:28 is still true, even when it doesn’t feel true.

3.  Joy  will come in the morning.  The night of weeping may be long, but eventually, the dawn will come.

4.  God loves me.  Enough to send His Son to die for me. 

5.  People really do care, but sometimes they don’t know how to let you know.

6.  Life is uncertain.  Treasure every moment.

7.  God’s plan for your life is good, acceptable, and perfect, even though you may not understand it.

8.  Faith will sustain you through any trial.

12 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    On Sunday, I realized Nathan's birthday was coming up and I planned to call you today. I was so mad at myself when I read your blog. I even had it written down so I would not forget. I am so sorry.
    I have Nathan Michael Crow 4-23-03 written in my Bible next to Psalm 113. It is a great blessing to me today just as it was then. God is good and He is always with us, especially in times of need. I love you, my sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your mom gave me your blog address to read this post. I appreciate your openness, and it makes me believe even more that God's wonderful grace is available to anyone who will take it. This kind of grace is truly supernatural (certainly not natural in me!) I do remember how much of this feels. I can relate to having to think twice about how I will answer how many children I have. I always want to say 5, but, it's such a sad piece of information to tell people who aren't expecting it. Romans 8:28 was quoted to me first in the hospital (and I remember thinking that they don't know it's not a comforting thing to say!), but honestly it kept me afloat.

    Our Nathan is Nathan Michael. Our newest baby is Celeste Hope (heavenly expectation). Life is such a gift from God. Those wonderful babies have forever changed us in so many ways.

    Thank you for sharing. Happy birthday, sweet heavenly boy.

    Your friend, Bonnie Foster (Troy Baptist Temple)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie, for your kind words. Abigail (joy of my Father) was the joy that followed our night of weeping. I know Celeste was an answer to your prayers, as well of those who love you and your family. Praise God for His grace!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Sarah. I am at work, and had to hold back the tears. I remember on several occasions thinking of how you had to recover from the pain of a C-section, yet without the joy of a baby, and how sad that would be. Yet I see that you don't even mention the physical pain. Even now I sometimes think how sad it would be to lose one of my children, and how would I cope-- I guess maybe all parents wonder that? I love you, and appreciate your witness of His love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no way anyone could ever imagine the pain of losing a child. It is unlike losing anyone else. The physical pain, though great, was nothing compared to my aching heart. Praise God for His grace!

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    Thank you for sharing Nathan's story with us again. I cried so hard reading this! Your life and testimony has taught me so much. There's a lot I could say, but first of all, I want to say how much I appreciate your friendship. I don't even know how to say this right, but thank you for being my friend even though the lives of our special babies turned out so differently. My heart breaks thinking about the road you've walked and I know if it were me, I would be tempted to stay far away because it would be too painful of a reminder. So again, thank you!

    I'm not sure if I've ever told you this, but it was exactly one month after Nathan went to heaven that we found out about Lydia's heart defects. Our world was turned upside down and we had no idea what would happen. At the time, I didn't know the whole of Nathan's story, but I saw that you didn't quit on God. I remember one afternoon after Lydia's diagnosis, running into you, Paul and Josiah coming out of the bank or something and you were smiling. I can see it as if it were yesterday because it left a permanent impression on me. I have no idea why you smiled,but that day you gave me hope that if something happened to Lydia, I too could go on through God's grace.

    Thank you again for sharing, it was a blessing to me! I love you and am praying for you, friend. Looking forward to meeting your sweet boy someday!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that day, too. It was so hard for me to smile, not only for my own pain, but I knew that you guys were in such turmoil over your own earth-shaking news. I am so glad that you have your Lydia - she is such a friend to Abigail, too! :) We love you all, and pray for you often! Thanks for your words of encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Sarah,

    I so needed to read this right now. I remember the events of all of this as we were in our last month at college before we graduated and at Emmanuel with you. I remember the day that it happened and hearing the news and thinking the same thing Laine thought, you would have to recover with no baby to hod. :( I didn't get to see you much afterwards to see how you handled it except I know how you are 10 years later as a result of how you handled it then. :)

    I am at that same point in life (for a much different reason) - the darkest, deepest point I have ever been. About to scream if someone else tells me I am doing a good thing, or this will all come to end someday, or God's plans for my life are good - just trust.

    "Oh, I knew that God did work out all things for my good, but I really didn’t want a verse flippantly quoted to me by someone whose life had never been shattered into pieces. It sounds scandalous for me to say such a thing, but it is the absolute and candid truth." - yes, this is me too.

    hoping one day years down the road to come out with a deeper relationship and strength and trust in God although right now I just feel like I am going through the motions and barely surviving.

    on a second note - will you be at ABC next week for alumni stuff??? oh, I hope so - we will be and would love to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I don't know what you are going through right now, but I will be praying for you. There is a John W. Peterson song that I still cannot sing without crying, but it is one of my favorites - "Trust God in the Dark." So many times it seems as if, like Job, "I go forward, but he is not there; and backward, but I cannot perceive him: On the left hand, where he doth work, but I cannot behold him: he hideth himself on the right hand, that I cannot see him: But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."
      Those times of darkness can and will come, but God is always there. Even though we may not see Him working, He is.
      Your strength will come from resting in His plan for you, even though you may not know what that may be. It is much easier said than done, and many times, it will take daily, even hourly reminders, but it is the only way you can make it through those dark, deep valleys. Cling to the Lord, and allow this trial to shape you into His image. I will pray that God makes Himself known to you in a very special and personal way.

      We won't be at ABC for the alumni days, which is sad (sniff)because I do so love to see everyone again. If you ever get up in the Memphis, Tn, area, let us know, we are only a few miles south. We always seem to miss you when we come through GA! :)

      Take care, and don't give up! Love you!

      Delete
  6. Sarah,
    Just got around to reading your blog today. Thank you for sharing your heart. We were in Ukraine when this happened, so we missed seeing and hearing the testimonies of God's grace. We lost our baby girl 22 years ago on April 17. Wow, am I really that old? :) I was not saved at the time, but God used this to bring me to Himself. It thrills me to know that she is in heaven waiting for me. I still mourn for her and also mourn with you for Nathan. We will never forget those babies who came into our lives for just a little while, but changed us forever.

    I always want to tell people, yes I have a child, but I have seen the shock when trying to explain it to them and then they feel bad for asking.

    Thank you again for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, too, Vera. You guys were always such a blessing to us. I know your daughter must be very proud of you both, and can hardly wait to see you also! Love you!

      Delete
  7. Sarah, I'm re-finding your blog after 'losing' you for awhile. :) I'm blogging at a different spot now, too- www.embracingrace.com
    I'll never forget the chapel service when your husband came in the back and spoke of how you had just lost your sweet baby. Then I faced my own life threatening pregnancies, and learned some much needed lessons in trusting God.
    I think of you often and remember the talks we had in college and how much you encouraged me in one of my valleys. That situation is still a valley in my life, but I've been able to focus on my little family and continue to pray for restoration in the other areas. Maybe it will never come here on earth, and I'm ok with that. It has driven me closer to God and I wouldn't trade that for any mountain.
    Hope to keep up with you better in the future! ((hug))
    BTW, could you enable name/url commenting...I'm having a hard time commenting because I blog with WP and for some reason my username won't be accepted here. :(
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete