Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Greater Works

I have stolen this title from my husband's sermon, but I know he won't mind since it wasn't exactly original with him!  One of the messages he preached yesterday referenced Jesus' admonition to his disciples about the "greater works" that they would do.  Greater than His works of healing the lame, the blind, the diseased, and raising the dead.  How is that possible?  The simple explanation is that all of those works are temporary.  In order that we do greater works, we must do things that have permanence and lasting eternal value.  Too many times my own works are all too temporal.  I rejoice over answered prayers (which is not wrong, by the way) but upon reflection, those prayers are far too often about things that have no eternal significance.  Why do we not see people saved?  Perhaps because we don't keep the burden of their soul in the forefront of our prayers.  That brother or sister who is away from the Lord will only be reached by the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man.  These are the greater works.  May the Lord help me to live with eternity's values in view.

I was glad today that I could redeem my last amazon gift card of the month from Swagbucks.  I barely made it, but I can now start earning toward February's gift cards.  If you haven't signed up for Swagbucks yet, do it today! Yes, that is a shameless promotional for a very temporal thing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment